Monday, August 14, 2006

Many many moons ago...

I suppose the title is a tribute to the many moons I've shared with all the ODACians who have ever slept under the stars with me. In a way, this blog is a memory - One which is slowly fading, though I try hard not to let it go so softly into the night. I tell myself some things you never can forget, and yet as the years roll by, you realise you do lose it bit by bit.

I begin this entry at year one. I can't say if I could write all the way to year three but at least I'll leave everyone with the beginning.

Year One remains special, unique and unforgettable. I dunno why. Maybe things were a lot simpler than...or we were simpler? Everything seemed possible and we jus had to reach out for the stars in order to get them. Who were we? We were the ODAC 6th Family.


Here we are at a time when digital cameras were very expensive and this was a shot taken off Chie Fong's trusty NIKON F70. Yah...you had to develop photos then. After that you had to SCAN them. And its kinda how I have this really treasured photograph.

I know almost 90% of the people in this photo...until today...I can still recall their names and faces. I guess the picture spoke of a simpler time or maybe I was just more friendly. In any case it was pretty awesome then. Looking back it still remains a special moment in time.

People were genuinely happy. Happy to be with each other...happy to just sit and talk kok. We spent countless hours at publicity booths, or crazy nights doing publicity banners...or having BBQs and getting drunk sometimes.

And one night...they almost "killed" me with a birthday celebration. Had it all rigged...there was flour, soya sauce, chili and eggs.

It was wierd. We sang when we never needed to. We joked, cursed and sang some more. There were oddball chracters... Spidey, Horny, Jedi, Kedi, Cells, Spacegirl, Goldfish, Ah Sam, Fong-Jie, Bimbo, Auntie Peggy, ODAC Poster Boy, Xunster, Kokster, Maria, ZZ, ET... just to name a few.

And we had fun. Whether it was hiking or helping ZZ clean and keep the tents. Some how we were there for each other. Through dreary nights with Joyce thinking of the next day's publicity(!) or just sprouting nonsense with Spacegirl Wenz while doing booth duty. I remember these moments most.

We had a most lovely campfire I remembered. A most unforgettable "Wah-Liew" script and the most talented "praying mantis" dance this side of the hemisphere.

Chemistry I suppose. Magic.

Last but not least...I also had a most memorable Berkelah Trip which sealed my fate with ODAC. The first trip I led together with a lovely lady called Lining. That first incredible sight of the 30m high waterfall...of nature's glory...and I knew I was hooked. But more importantly. I came to see the beauty of human relationship...one without the distraction of handphones, books or our everyday worries. We were out in the woods. And all we had was really one another.

That special trip...is fondly remembered for its clear skies and bright blessed day. And also for the people who came with me and shared a night and a few meals. Thank you Lining, Peggy, Zong Yao, Kah Boon, Pierre, Shun Yong, Wee Keat, Zoey, HongFu, Jeffery, Daniel, Sam, Jerry, Meei Ting, Ves, Jess and Li Shan...few others who I can't remember. I really did treasure this trip. It was most amazing with you guys.

There were many more.

Belumut...also with Lining. Another amazing bunch, another amazing mountain.

I have had more trips and many more experiences. I'll end here for now. Will come back to add more to this post.

Many more people who I would really love to see again...just to remember a time many, many moons ago...when we shared a cup of milo under a starlit patch of sky. And everything in the world seemed at peace.

...a part of you has touched me deep...and it lingers on in my heart. May our paths cross again someday.

Good night and god speed.

No comments: