Monday, October 18, 2004

Dedicated to the memory of Christopher Reeve

So this is it...

I finally succumb to writing in a blog. A little piece of digitised me...on the big bad internet.
Not too bad.

Have to dedicate this to some friends of mine who inspired me to do this...namely Guo Pei, Eunice, Sonya, Vasun, Chee Kong and Jian Quan. Seeing the blogs you guys have...kinda inspired me to give it a go.

Dun have much to say as a first posting...but I'd like to highlight Christopher Reeve's passing. He's the guy who played Superman in the movies.

Why him?

For a variety of reasons...but I think its just cause he made me BELIEVE that man could fly and that I too could be a superhero (weight issues aside). I can't remember when I first watched the Superman movie...but I do remember always being a fan.

He made me wear my undies on the outside...I think I'm still tempted to sometimes...

He made me fly off the chair and unto my bed...sadly the forces of reality and gravity prevailed...but there was that tiny split second where I just knew I flew. I DID!

He made me bug my mama for a Superman T-shirt complete with cape when I was young...

He made me stare intensely at my mama(trying to burn her with my heat rays) when she refused to get me the T-shirt.

I can't put in words why he's passing moves me. But I think its because my childhood hero has passed on. Its like a part of you dies with him.

So I feel sad. Never knew I'd be affected by an actor's passing...but I am. I mean...he was Superman. There was no other who played Superman like he did. No other who flew the way he did... There was no other who inspired and fueled my childhood like he did...

Good bye Christopher Reeve... You will always be my Superman...
Thank you for growing up with me...for providing me endless hours of imagination...for giving me superhero values which I could live by...for living a life worthy of a Superman.

Rest-in-peace dear buddy... its good to see you flying again... may you soar high into the heavens.



"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." -- Christopher Reeve

** Do visit http://www.supermanhomepage.com and http://www.christopherreeve.org for tributes to Christopher Reeve




No comments: