Sunday, January 06, 2008

"The World is my oyster"...so they say...

I read a friend's (Sophia) blog recently. She's doing well...and travelling quite a fair bit since she joined the oil rigging industry. It's really a job I admire since my dad was an oil-rigger and used to fascinate me with all his stories about the many places he has been too. You just have to imagine a little chubby kid hearing about the midnight sun in Alaska or deep sea fishing from the pontoons of an Oil Rig to understand how amazing these little stories were to me.

Anyway, fate doesn't play the same hand to sons as to fathers. I didn't take an engineering degree nor did I end up in the navy, which is what I probably would have done if my heart murmur was not an issue with MINDEF.

But I must say I still love travelling and experiencing different things. Sophia's compiled a list of places she has been to. So I thought it would be interesting if I spent a few minutes thinking and writing down the places that I have been to. Kinda like a country stocktake. =)

Let's see...gotta start from the ones I remember when I was young.

Pre 1990s - Genting / Penang / Phuket / Cameron Highlands / Indonesia
~ I can't remember much for this period.

1993 - Chiang Mai and Bangkok, Thailand
~ Paid some distant relatives of mine a visit, together with my family and my grandpa. Unforgettable 10 hour journey in a cramped Mini-van.

1995 - Sabah, Outward Bound Sabah and Mount Kinabalu Expedition
~ This was a most memorable one. First trip without parents, first overseas hiking adventure. This trip started my love for the outdoors. That quesy feeling in the face of nature, knowing that you are minutely insignificant in the grander scheme of things and yet, also knowing that somehow you are a part of everything unfolding around you, even if you don't know it all.

1996 - Didn't travel in the year I had my O-levels. Spent a lot of time studying in the little nooks and crannies at the Changi Airport Terminal 2 Viewing Gallery though. I actually finished the A-maths and Physics Ten Year Series here.

1998 - Tasmania / Australia
~ Another most memorable one. This was after the A-levels...and before my enlistment. Got a couple of mates together...Kie Hian, Wee Keat, Shang Wei, Mark, Fang Fang and this other lady (OMG...forgot her name!) Flew all the way to Melbourne...and then took the 1-day ferry to Tasmania. Sent 6 days in the bush...Cradle Mountain and Lake St Clair National Park.

2000 - Pulau Aur and Dayang / Malaysia
~ My diving open water certificate. First time diving out in the open sea. AMAZING adventure.

2001 - Mount Ophir / Malaysia
~ First time recce-ing and subsequently leading an expedition of at-risk youths. This expedition opened me to the possibility of being a trip leader.

2001 - Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand Overland trip
~ This trip was the backpackers dream. I still don't really know how I managed to crammed it all within 22 days. Great company...Wee Keat, Guopei, Wan and Cheryl. Everything just went well together.

2001~2005 - Pelepah/Belumut/Panti/Berkelah/Ophir/Titiwangsa/Jerangkang/Kinabalu (Malaysia) / Khao Sok (Thailand) / Hawaii (USA) / Britain / Scotland / Spain
~ Did quite a fair bit of hiking and leading of trips in my uni days. Visited my sis in Hawaii. And did a Europe tour as well.

2006 - Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
~ Did a vacation with the missus right smack in the middle of the World Cup. I learnt my lesson...never travel during world cup. Hahaha!

2007 - Kinabalu / Fukuoka, Japan
~ 3rd time up this mountain I have fallen in love with. This time with another amazing bunch. Red, Ronny, Lining and Huiwen.
Was sponsored a trip to Japan in Dec 2007 as well. Fabulous country...just immaculate.

Ok...dunno what 2008 brings. What ever will be will be.
I haven't actually felt like travelling for a long time already. Dun have any dream destinations.

Adieu

No comments: