Monday, May 02, 2005

Of Sharks and Dinosaurs

Ever since I was a young boy...I've loved sharks and dinosaurs.
I still do.

I try to say I don't know why...but maybe I do...
Allow me to write these things down...

There was a book which came out when I was about 8 or 9. It was the "Reader's Digest book of Sharks". I never got a chance to own that book...but I remember it was always the first book I browsed in the book store. I loved the photos and the description of sharks in the book...it was fascinating. I remember my other love then was Dinosaurs...and I had an uncle who gave me a book on that. Its funny how a simple book with vivid descriptions and colour illustrations of dinosaurs can do so much to stir a small boy's imagination...

I remember reading...and memorising dino facts. In my head...battles were fought between triceratops and t-rex. There was a documentary my dad taped...about dinosaurs. And I'd watch it over and over and over again. I remember it was Christopher Reeve who hosted the show... hahaha...my other idol... SUPERMAN.

But not just the prehistoric...but Sharks too. Sharks are AWESOME.
And the most AWESOME of all...you guessed it...my favourite...

THE GREAT WHITE SHARK

I think I know...it had to be JAWS the movie. Started me down this road. Thanks to Steven Spielberg...swimming never became the same again. Even on lazy saturday mornings...I did pretend there was a shark in the pool! Right...like some great white could actually survive our chlorinated public pools...not to mention god knows how many kids have peed in it...plus i dunno what else adults do in them pools....

But yeah...I remember. The ominous music...DA DUM...DA DUM...DA DUM...and it would play in my head everytime I went swimming. Even now...sometimes I hear it...and I laugh. Heh heh.

But you have to admire you know...the power in that impressive body frame...the sleek lines...the way the fin cuts the water...that massive bite...its the perfect being. Built for the kill.
I love the way it lazily swims in the water knowing it's the ultimate...and then the sudden burst of speed to surprise its opponents.

If I could be born again...I'd want to be a Great White.

Maybe I have a fascination with power...yah...my favourite dinosaur? Tyrannosaurus Rex.
Funny how as a young boy...I would identify myself with the biggest baddest animals...was it a latent predatory instinct in me?

As a side note...JURASSIC PARK ranks as one of the all-time best movies in my list. I remember watching it as a 14 year old...at Lido cinema. I stared mouth open...as Steven Spielberg once again cast a spell over me. To see the dinosaurs...so real...it took my breath away. The movements...so life-like. I've watched Jurassic Park close to 10 times...no thanks to Channel 5 too...who likes screening it over and over...hahaha. Oh yah...that day at Lido...a whole row of RGS girls seating in front of me...made it amusingly memorable too. You can imagine the cacophany of screams...
I think Steven Spielberg was right to make them Raptors more scary too...damn fascinating stuff...

Thank you Mr Steven Spielberg...for casting your shark, dinosaur and UFO spells over me.

A bit of psychoanalysis...
What does it say about small boys who love predators?
Favourite animals were Shark, T-rex, Tiger...
Is there a trapping towards power? Did I aim to be top dog?
Or just a morbid fascination towards what death could be like in the face of these beautiful animals....

Yes...I use the word beautiful. These predators have never been ferocious to me. To me...they were beautiful... I admire them. If I ever came face to face with any of the above...in the wild...not the zoo. I think I'd just stand and admire...and if I get eaten...man...what a way to die!

Ya...so there you have it. Of Sharks and Dinosaurs.
If anybody out there wants to buy me stuff next time...make it a shark. =)

No comments: